The University of Minnesota has reinstituted the requirement that all students, staff, faculty, contractors, and visitors to our campuses, offices, and facilities, wear facial coverings while indoors, regardless of your vaccination status. This policy applies to all Recreation and Wellness facilities.
What is the new mask policy?
We are now requiring patrons and staff to wear appropriate face coverings at all times in Recreation and Wellness facilities, including while exercising. Face coverings may only be removed when showering, eating, drinking or participating in water-based activities in the pools and diving wells. No other activities, no matter how strenuous, are exempt. Our revised mask policy is not a replacement for other good health practices, so we encourage you to continue maintaining physical distance, wash your hands regularly, and monitor for symptoms.
Why are you requiring that patrons wear a face covering at all times - even while exercising?
The Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus appears to be much more easily transmitted, resulting in new CDC guidance on masking. Proper and consistent use of masks is an effective barrier to slow the spread of COVID-19 when practiced in conjunction with physical distancing and other good health practices. We are experiencing increased traffic at RecWell as classes resume and as faculty and staff return to working on campus and appreciate your compliance in helping slow the spread.
We continue to encourage everyone accessing our facilities to "Get the Vax."
Are there any exceptions to the new mask policy?
Face coverings can only be removed while performing water-based activities such as showering, drinking and using the pools/diving wells as well as while eating. No other activities are exempt.
What if I have a condition that prevents me from wearing a mask?
Individuals whose unique and individual circumstances require accommodations due to this directive, as indicated by a medical or similar subject matter professional, may request one. To request alternative face covering options, contact the Disability Resource Center.
What is the effective date of the new mask policy?
The new mask policy is effective immediately in all Recreation and Wellness facilities starting Tuesday, August 3, 2021.
Continue to check for symptoms of COVID-19 before entering using the posted health screening signs; if you are experiencing symptoms do not enter, go home, and contact your doctor.
Cleaning and Safety Precautions:
- Fitness equipment will be wiped down at regular intervals by staff and cleaning wipes are available for members to use.
- Additional hand sanitizing stations will remain in the facilities.
- HVAC continues to run 24/7 to provide additional ventilation.
- Contactless entry using the RecWell app is encouraged. Note: Scanning at the exits is no longer required as capacity limits have been lifted.
- Regular play is allowed and reservations are no longer required for all sports including, but not limited to, basketball, volleyball, racquetball, squash, and more.
- Equipment is available for rent at the Equipment Rooms.
- The Climbing Gym no longer requires reservations and has lifted limits on the number of participants in the space.
- Masks are required while on the pool deck but may be removed while in the water and while showering.
- Bins for masks will be available at the end of lanes.
- Advanced registration will no longer be required.
Fitness Machines and Equipment:
- Exercise machines are being relocated to efficiently utilize space and provide convenient workouts for members.
- Functional equipment, such as resistance bands and yoga mats ,no longer require check-out and are available throughout the fitness centers.
- Stretching mats will return to locations throughout the facilities.
- Drinking fountains and water bottle filling stations are open.
- Towel service is available at the locker rooms.
- Day lockers are available for rent.
- Sponsored Day Passes/Guest passes are available for purchase.
- Massage therapy is available. For information about scheduling, visit our Massage Therapy page.
- Saunas, steam rooms, and bodpod assessments remain unavailable until further notice.
- Family Day passes remain on hold until further notice.